- First case of extortion targeting motorists reported on the Mocímboa da Praia–Palma road
- Soldiers killed by insurgents were deployed to the Afungi Operational Theatre in Palma
By MOZTIMES
Pemba (MOZTIMES)—Renewed insurgent activity in the Palma district during the first two weeks of August has forced subcontractors working for TotalEnergies in the region to suspend some activities.
According to local sources, the subcontractors were warned that the security situation had recently deteriorated, and operations had been suspended almost a week ago. Workers remain confined within the TotalEnergies camp in Afungi.
Insurgent movements were reported in communities such as Maputo (on the boundary between Palma and Mocímboa da Praia), Mute and Maganja, all located near the Afungi camp.
In these localities, Islamist militants looted food supplies and abducted six people, who were only released after paying ransoms ranging between 10,000 and 30,000 meticais (approximately 150 to 500 US dollars).
Soldiers killed were deployed to protect the TotalEnergies project
Two members of the Mozambican Defence and Security Forces (FADM), captured and killed by insurgents on 15 August, were part of the Special Operational Theatre of Afungi (TOEA), created to protect TotalEnergies’ Mozambique LNG.
The victims were intercepted while travelling on a motorbike driven by a moto-taxi operator, on the road between Pundanhar and Palma town, where they were headed on personal matters.
The moto-taxi driver was later released after paying a ransom, said a Palma resident who knows the victim. He did not disclose the amount paid. The motorbike, however, was taken by insurgents.
Three days later, the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack through its propaganda channels, releasing photographs showing the two dead soldiers, the motorbike, and the military identification card of one of them.
A Defence and Security Forces source told MOZTIMES that, following the killings, an order was issued banning unauthorised movements by soldiers deployed at the TOEA.
“The command made it clear in a meeting that no soldier should leave for any location without completing their mission,” the officer explained.
The two soldiers were killed amid a resurgence of insurgent activity in southern Palma villages, the first since Mocímboa da Praia was retaken in late 2021 with Rwandan support.
On Saturday, a group of insurgents intercepted a vehicle on the Mocímboa da Praia–Palma road. About an hour later, the car was released along with its passengers, who were nevertheless forced to pay money to secure their freedom, according to a local source. (MT)















